Leather Tooling is the process of giving a three-dimensional appearance to a leather surface by cutting and/or stamping different shapes and patterns with a variety of specialty tools in hand.
Throughout this 4 part workshop students will be introduced to the basic fundamentals of Leather Tooling!! Students will learn essential tracing, stamping, carving,stitching and finishing techniques that can be found in all types of leather goods all while assembling your own vegetable tanned bookmark and notebook cover from scratch!
To customize your projects students will choose a graphic design to stamp and carve into the surface of their cover. Students are welcome to bring their own design to the beginning of the first class or choose from the graphics provided by your instructor.
Your Notebook cover has been designed to fit a classic Moleskin notebook which will also be included within your workshop fee for you to easily jot down notes or design ideas as they come to mind throughout the workshop!
- Introduction to the basic tools and techniques for crafting and carving
- Students will test out these techniques while making a custom veg tan bookmark
- At the end of the class student will choose a graphic design provided by their instructor or get their own custom design approved to use for their main project: The Notebook Cover
- Cut and assemble notebook components
- Transfer design onto cover
- Start stamping and carving your select design using a variety of specialty tools
- Continue stamping and tooling your design.
- Treating the surface with different dyes and stains to seal your project!
- Assembling (gluing together) parts of the notebook.
- Treating the edges with slicker.
- Punching holes for the hand stitch seam. Hand stitching demo by your instructor
- Complete hand stitching and finalize the project
What is included:
All materials are included within this workshop fee and students will create and bring home the following:
Vegetable tanned Bookmark, Vegetable tanned leather Notebook Cover dimensions measure 15,5cm x 23.5cm and Classic Moleskin Notebook
This workshop is a great introduction to hand stitching and carving leather and is open to all skill levels! No previous experience is necessary.
About your instructor:
Greg Belenky is a professional 3D artist with decades of experience in developing graphics and animation for the computer game industry. He has an academic background as a sculptor and has worked with a variety of materials and art techniques throughout his career. His most recent media of choice is Leather and now creates a variety of leather good products with original surface techniques such as stamping, carving, dyeing and painting techniques to create a one of a kind custom piece for his clients.
To view samples of his leatherwork please visit: http://3ddesignfineart.com/htm/hand_made/other/other.htm