Espadrilles are a great introduction to shoemaking! Throughout this workshop students will be introduced to basic shoemaking techniques and with the use of only a few simple tools will have the opportunity to design their own pair of espadrilles from scratch!
Students will begin the workshop by selecting their designs from over 12 trusted patterns provided and then will have the opportunity to customize their patterns to match personal measurements, proportions and design preferences. Both open and closed toe styles will be possible!
Once we have settled on our design, students will then peruse our large assortment of premium leather and fabrics to select their own unique color and material combination. From there we will move into the following stages: cutting, sewing, assembling, fitting, hand stitching and finishing!
All skill levels are welcome! No previous shoemaking or sewing experience is required. We will introduce students to the sewing machine so they can stitch a few simple seams to assemble their uppers and then we will introduce traditional hand stitching techniques to attach the upper of the shoe to the jute outsole.
This workshop includes a total of 12 hrs of in studio instruction. In the attempt to accommodate the schedule of the mass majority this workshop is offered in a series of 4 evenings sessions as well as two full back to back days over the weekend. Please note: Both options cover identical information.
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- Pre-made jute outsoles with rubber bottoms in your select size
- Trusted pre-made upper patterns for you to use/customize
- A variety of premium leather/cotton/canvas options for you to choose from
- Interfacing + stiffeners
- Needle + Wax thread
- Coffee and/or tea to keep your energy level up
- Art and Sole shoe box and tote bag!
FIT + SIZING:
Please note our jute outsoles are available in WMNS 6-10
*** Prior to checkout you will be asked to provide us with your shoe size and foot measurements. For additional instruction click on "Measurement instructions" at the bottom of this page.
Limited to 4 students
All materials are included within your workshop fee with that said if you have specific materials in mind that you would like to incorporate into your design please bring them with you to the beginning of your first class.
THINGS TO BRING:
- Inspiration photos for the type of design you would like to create
- Clothes you don’t mind getting dirty (The process involves a lot of gluing and leather dust)
- Indoor shoes that are easy to slip on and off as you will be working directly off your own foot
- Notebook to be able to jot down the step by step process